Saturday, September 28, 2013

Bear Lake Monster Cross

    
Today was the inaugural running of the Bear Lake Monster Cross, hopefully with many more to follow.  It was originally scheduled for June, but had to be postponed after its organizer Jared Eborn was critically injured in an automobile accident.  Jared is a great guy and thankfully has made a good recovery.  The distance of the original Monster Cross route was 100 miles, but was reduced to 80 miles today due to the small field and cold weather conditions.  In my opinion, it was the perfect route and ideal distance. 
     Monster Cross is a long gravel grinder or dirt fondo.  As has become the norm for many cycling events, it is not a race, but exists as a near race.  For a lot of people, as soon as they pin on a number and get on a bike, they are racing.  For another group, racing ruins the fun of the ride.  The race-if-you-want-to format seems to be a pretty good compromise for both groups.  The Monster Cross route is remarkable for several reasons.  The scenery is spectacular and the course almost entirely on gravel.  As a result of the recent rains it was absolutely dust-free today.
     As many of you know, I have written quite a bit about my love/hate relationship with the Crusher, Ultimate Challenge, and Lotoja.  Monster Cross is by no means easy, but I can recommend it without reservation.  It is a full value dirt fondo with plenty of moderate climbs and technical descents on very primitive roads.   However, it lacks the soul crushing climbs of the Crusher or the Ultimate Challenge.  What I am feeling for Monster Cross right now is only love.
     The first rider in today was Jeff Sumsion from Park City, who as luck would have it, was riding one of Brian’s RAD bikes.  Due to the numerous complications and rescheduling, the field today consisted of only about 20 riders.  This is going to sound like gloating, but we got the most insane pile of schwag I have ever seen at a race.  I know I going to forget something, but here goes:  jersey, t-shirt, backpack, trucker hat, shot glasses, finisher’s medal, stickers, food, and paid admission to next year’s event.  I will absolutely be there.
     The cycling season ends with a flurry of events.  Last weekend, Bruce rode the Heber Century and Tony competed in the Xterra National Championships.  Today was the ADA Ride and there are more cross races going on than I can keep track of including our own Cube one week from today.
     Lana is working on a blog post including video from the Xterra.  I would like to remind everyone else that I am always looking for content for the blog.  Nothing would make me happier than to have someone write up something to post on some on these other events.
 

1 comment:

  1. That is some awesome swag! I wish I could have made it there. Hopefully next year!

    ReplyDelete