Monday, February 2, 2015

Product Review: Topeak SmartGauge D2

This is going to be pretty simple. Do not buy this gauge to use with your fat bike. Most people who are shopping for an accurate tire pressure gauge right now are probably looking for a product to use with their fat bike where a couple of psi can make a real difference in certain snow conditions. 
I have used a number of Topeak products in the past and they have generally been reliable, good quality products. My mistake was buying this gauge without reading the online reviews. the D2 is very difficult to use without releasing substantial amounts of air from a Presta valve and that is not the worst thing. In spite of a considerable amount of fussing and jiggling, I have been unable to get it to register any pressure at all in fat bike tires. At about 10 psi in the tires, the gauge reading will not budge from zero.
It did not take me too long to run out of patience with this poorly functioning product. (Aside from the issue with air release, it appears to take an accurate reading on my road tires). Only then did I read some online reviews and found to my surprise that they are generally favorable, although some people comment that the D2 is more effective at deflating tires than measuring pressure. Fat bike owners complain of failure to get any reading at all.
Chris and Tony both purchased low pressure analog gauges which seem to work fine and I am planning to do the same. For my needs, the SmartGauge D2 has been absolutely worthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment