Wednesday, July 20, 2016

AAA "Tows" My Bike, Reminder of Upcoming Events

I have been a member of AAA, the automotive roadside service group, for a number years. I joined at a time when I was making fairly regular trips to Moab in the Trooper. If the old car were to break down on the White Rim or similarly distant location, the towing expense could have been astronomical. Remarkably, that has still never happened. In 24 years and a few gazillion on and off-road miles, the Trooper has never left me stranded. I wish the same were true for my bicycles.
A year or so ago, AAA began advertizing that their roadside assistance program covered bicycles. I was out this morning to ride the Rexburg-Kelly Canyon-Lyon Creek loop. I put on a new chain for the Crusher and cleaned and lubed it before my ride this morning. I was on the gravel section between Squires Dugway and Byrne Siding. In an instant through whatever combination of factors (chain not well serviced, careless shifting, whatever) about three links of the chain were badly damaged. I assessed the situation, coasted down the pavement from Byrne Siding and called AAA. The operator seemed a little puzzled by a call for service to a bicycle. I requested a ride back to town. She said she could not do that but offered to send a tow truck. I said: “Fine, send a tow truck.” Within 30 minutes or so, they sent a good old boy in a pickup truck who drove me back to town.
If you are interested in a century road ride Saturday, Greg and James will be riding the Drummond loop departing from the Junior High School at 5:30 a.m.


Please take note of these dates:

No comments:

Post a Comment