Sunday, November 3, 2013

Some Comments on Spooky Cross

Most of the things I can say about Spooky Cross are things that I have said before.  If you have never competed in a cyclocross race, you have missed an experience that defies an easy description.  Cyclocross is highly competitive and physically demanding but at the same time very accessible as participant sport.  In my opinion, only a handful of expert level cyclists have any business racing criteriums, but you can take the kids to a cross race. 

     Before you start to dismiss cyclocross as a little ride in the park for the kids and beginners, consider these numbers.  Jeff had his Garmin on yesterday at Spooky Cross.  For 45 minutes, his average heart rate was 169 and his maximum heart rate was 193.  I think of the cardiac stress tests that we do on the treadmill at the hospital.  They could not begin to touch this.  Cyclocross is full speed, full pain start to finish. 

     Conditions were good yesterday, a little bit muddy, but very rideable.  I am no big fan of mud, but it would not be a full value cross season without a little mud.  Kelton has about one more year before he can beat all of the adults.  Jeff had the top finish yesterday of the local riders.  When he passed me in about the third lap, I felt like it would give me a good opportunity to pace off of him, but that turned out to be pretty wishful thinking.

     I feel like we are at a point in time in which we have the opportunity to really promote cyclocross in Southeastern Idaho.  We are already looking forward to organizing the Cube next year.  Our hope is that along with an Idaho Falls race enhance the success of the Victor series.  I will be posting a reminder about the Idaho Falls race which is next Saturday.  I will be working, but I hope we can support their event.

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment