Sunday, November 3, 2013

Tate Wins in Caldwell



I think it’s fitting that Jeff has honored Tate today with a new banner photo on the blog. This is how cyclocross is done.  A lot of us really love cross, but I don’t think there is any question where the true talent lies. Winning and placing week after week in a variety of venues and against top tier competition is a monumental accomplishment.  Here is Tate’s race report:
   
Yesterday November 2, 2013 I had the opportunity to travel and race one of the Boise SICX races. I woke up early in the morning and left Rexburg at about 5:45 in the morning to be able to make it to Caldwell in time to race at 11:30. When I arrived at the course I was amazed at how many juniors and women they had show up to race. The racecourse was almost entirely on grass except for the start, which was on a 250 meter paved road. The most difficult part about the race was that it was on the side of a hill, which we had to go up and down 4 times per lap. The course had a lot of off camber tight turns, which is where I really noticed my new bikes braking abilities. I was able to go into corners hotter and faster than almost everyone else due to my bike’s superior braking ability. When the gun went off I had a flawless start, which allowed me to get the hole-shot. Once we reached the first corner I realized that I had been given a small gap. I did however hesitate for a few seconds because I didn’t know any of the racers or their skill level. However, this hesitation only lasted a few seconds until I decided to go for broke from the first minute of the race. Once I made my mind up to go I quickly realized that this course suited me very well, the corners were wide and the course profile was intense. I was the only racer of the day able to bunny hop the barriers which was a great time saver. In the end I was able to come home with a great victory on first race on my new Kelson Cyclocross bike. It was an extremely well organized event, unfortunately Boise isn’t exactly close to Rexburg but if you are ever in the area then I would highly recommend this race series to anyone. I know that I will defiantly be back at least one for time this year.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment