Wednesday, June 10, 2015

GCN: Is Compact Gearing Faster than Standard?



This is pretty interesting to me, since like many of you, I have been a participant in substantial evolution in the gearing of bicycles. As was the custom of the day, I originally rode the Thousand Warriors (later Ultimate Challenge) and similar events with a standard 52-39 crankset and a 12-25 cassette for a final low gear ratio of 1.56. It was not uncommon for riders of the day to use a 11-23 cassette with a standard crankset (lowest gear ratio of 1.7). Eventually, some of us splurged on 12-27 "climbing cassettes" (lowest gear ratio of 1.44). Currently, my road and cross bikes are (correction: Only the cross/gravel bike is 11-32, road is 11-28. I should fact check myself better). cross bike is set up with a 50-34 compact crankset and 11-32 cassette (for a low gear of 1.06). For a real climbing ordeal like the Crusher, a lot of people are going lower than 1:1
Going back a little farther in the history of cycling, there is considerable speculation that Bernard Hinault ruined his knees by following the conventional wisdom of the day to push the highest gearing possible on climbs. 
When it comes to riding steep climbs, I am going to paraphrase Burke Swindlehurst, former pro and organizer of the Crusher, in advising against bring a knife to a gun fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment