Monday, September 5, 2016

Rebecca's Private Idaho 2016

I do not have enough superlatives for Rebecca’s. It is hard, epic, and fun. The quality of the organization sets a standard for other events. Everyone I know who has ever ridden Rebecca’s has loved it. Two years ago, I commented on bad-tasting water. This year, every aid station had bottled water and bottle hand-ups. The finish has always provided live music, great food, and beverages. Rebecca has traditionally awarded a bolo tie to the first 75 finishers. With increasing participant numbers and a higher level of competition, it is becoming more difficult to get a bolo tie.
It was cold and windy yesterday, but thankfully the rain which was forecast did not materialize until later. I started the day in arm warmers, leg warmers, and a full jacket. I was never tempted to remove any layers. Many of the roads had been recently graded, and paradoxically, the reduced washboard seemed to expose more sharp edged rocks. I do not recall any event in which I have ever seen more people with tire trouble. Kellen rode with the pros for quite a while and finished 25th overall even after burping a tubeless tire. The pros were not immune to the rocks. Kristin Armstrong had tire trouble. Burke Swindlehurst reportedly suffered four flat tires. My tubeless Clement MSO 36 mm continue to be bullet proof.
 
 
 
Our new BFF, three time Olympic gold medalist and two time world TT champion, Kristin Armstrong.
 
My Ferrari. Some other guy's Subaru.

1 comment: