Sunday, October 30, 2016

Positive Feedback from The Cube 2016







 
Thanks to Dawn for the photos in this post. We were fortunate enough to have two professional photographers on the course yesterday, Heather Williams and Ryan Chase, so we will be linking to and posting numerous additional photos. As most of our regular readers are aware, Brian Williams designed this year’s course and managed to incorporate some new and challenging features. All of the feedback that I got on the course was positive. Conditions were perfect for cross-cool, some mud, but highly rideable. At least three people, including me, went into the hard right just before Heckle Hill, with too much speed and hard braking. Team physician, Jeff Hancock, expertly stitched me up after the race. In addition to building the course, Brian designed and printed another very popular Cube shirt.
Irene from the City Rec Department promised me that official results will be posted tomorrow. In the meantime, I will acknowledge the winners that I am able to. Davey Mitchell won the Men’s “A” followed by Kelton and Kellen. No other women challenged Shae in the “A” race, so she had to content herself with beating most of the men. The “B” race featured very solid competition on the women’s side with Hannah Thatcher winning and the Hurst sisters Morgan and Emma finishing second and third. I will verify the men’s “B” podium tomorrow. It was won by a very fast guy in a Fitzgerald’s kit followed by a couple of the Madison Composite Team Riders.
One of the most promising things about yesterday’s Cube was the high level of participation by members of the high school Mountain Bike Team. All of the Madison kids rode great and I think had a lot of fun. They are the cross racers of the future. At the start of the “A” race, I attempted to acknowledge our numerous sponsors (Teton Oncology, Kelson, Joe Hill and Sticks and Stones, Bill’s Bike Shop, Dave’s Bike Shop, Farmer’s Bakery, Chris Huskinson, and many others), organizers (Rexburg Races-Jeff, Irene, Samantha. Chris Huskinson and Tony Perkins who with me have been the organizing committee since the original Cube, Jeff, Kellen, Dan, Shae, and many others), and supporters (the Cube racers, friends, family, photographers, volunteers). There is always the risk of overlooking someone who has contributed, so if I have failed to mention you personally, please forgive me.
I am going to give Eric Balog the final word on the 2016 Cube: “I wanted to publicly thank the Rexburg crew for hosting the Cube. It’s my favorite CX event of the year- I love the course, the organization, the racers, and the families/fans. You have built a great cycling community. Thanks for another fantastic event & congratulations to top racers like Davey, Kelton, Kellen-and really to EVERYONE that came out and raced.”

No comments:

Post a Comment