Tuesday, June 26, 2018

DKXL on a Tandem and Other Adventures




spacer.gif
Supporting the Tour Divide Community
Right now I'm sitting at Brush Mountain Lodge in Colorado helping Tour Divide riders as they pass through. I'd be lying if I said I'm not dreaming of being out there but it's great watching and supporting everyone on this journey.

Last week I got the chance to guide a client on an overnight gravel route in the Tetons. He has the goal to ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. Throughout the year many people reach out and I field questions in regards to bikepacking, often about the Tour Divide specifically. I really enjoy offering my experiences and knowledge to help others reach their goals. Some of the conversations turn into more of a consultation where I interview the rider and work on the knowledge they need and/or are looking for. Whether it's equipment, bike set-up, strategy, mind set, attitude, physical conditioning, or route info, I can cover it all. In the end these people become my friends and it is an amazing feeling to help them and take part in growing the community.
    Follow The Tour Divide Dots    
Dirty Kanza XL 350
The Dirty Kanza XL 350 Mile Race on a tandem with Tracey was hard, challenging, demanding but all so beautiful at the same time.

Our Salsa Powderkeg was our trusty steed and one that we love to ride. It was outfitted with some new Industry 9 wheels (Note: Not made for a tandem but they have been the most solid wheels yet that I have ridden on the tandem, stoked!) and a Cane Creek Viscoset, which once again proved itself to be a great headset. The Teravail Sparwood tires were bombproof, which is a true test on a tandem.

I like each of the Salsa handlebars; the Cowbell, Cowchipper, and Woodchipper are all great road bars, but I use them differently depending the event. Now that these handlebars are available in carbon, they're even more comfortable beyond offering a wide range of hand positions. I haven't run the Woodchipper in a while and mounted a carbon one (note: I always go for the widest version possible for adventure/ultra distance riding) and was very, very happy with that decision. I really enjoy relearning things that I have learned and/or tried in the past and this was one of those classic times.
    Read More about the Experience & Bike    
UP & COMING
August 18
Silk Road Mountain Bike Race
I am really looking forward to this first year event. The Silk Road Mountain Race is a fixed route, unsupported, single-stage cycling race through the mountains of Kyrgyzstan.
Backyard Series
This year, the Gravel Pursuit is the last stop in Salsa Cycles' Chase the Chaise series that celebrates the awesome world of gravel where everyone is welcome.

One luxurious lounge. One photographer. Five different gravel family rooms. Dirt, sweat, and tears from thousands of riders across the land. Photographic portraits to capture it all.
   REGISTER NOW   
Gravel-Pursuit
Jay-Petervary-Sponsors
Facebook Twitter Salsa-Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment