Monday, September 14, 2020

How To Remove Dried Tubeless Tyre Sealant-GCN

    
 I have been a long time user and advocate of tubeless tire technology for a variety of cycling applications (road, mountain, gravel, cyclocross, fat bike). For the past two seasons, I have utilized Muc-Off Sealant almost exclusively with good results. 
     The Muc-Off Sealant has been pretty successful in closing punctures, but it is unusually tenacious when dry. The underside of my bikes looks like this now. 


     Muc-Off markets a sealant removing solvent in Europe which is not available in the US. I have resisted the temptation to attack the dried sealant with industrial solvents fearing potential damage to paint and carbon fiber. 
     The GCN video mentions several products including WD-40 which has zero effectiveness against dried Muc-Off sealant.  I ordered a bottle of Sticky Stuff Remover and will report on its effectiveness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment