Monday, September 28, 2020

Sticky Stuff Remover Reasonably Effective on Dried Sealant



Yesterday was the big test of the Sticky Stuff Remover recommended  by GCN for the removal of dried sealant. My Boone represented a worse case scenario with buckets of dried sealant on both the down tube and seat tube from several tire punctures .Here's how the test played out:
  • I applied the Sticky Stuff Remover fairly heavily with a blue hospital towel and scrubbed vigorously with minimal discernable effect.
  • I waited thirty minutes, repeated the process and was able to remove about half of the sealant.
  • I waited another thirty minutes, repeated the process a third time and was able to remove almost all of the sealant. I am confident that one more cycle would have removed any residual.
The Sticky Stuff Remover did not appear to damage the paint. With three applications, I used about half an eight ounce bottle to clean one frame. I plan to continue using this product at least until I find another sealant remover of comparable effectiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment