Saturday, June 28, 2014

Cold Wet Day

Yeah, that’s hail. Kellen asked me how much time to plan on for the ride. I told him gravel rides can be pretty unpredictable and today was no exception. We started this morning planning to ride from Sawtelle Resort, make a 50 mile loop through Island Park and up Baker Draw, returning to the cars by way of Big Springs. The plan from there was to grab some fresh bottles and ride to the top of Sawtell Peak (different spelling, I know, it’s correct). It was cold and raining from the start. Early on, we were forced to wade a fairly deep stream crossing. Joe claims he never felt his feet after that.
     The rain mostly continued for the next three hours until it turned into the fiercest hail storm I have seen lately. My son Stephen commented that everyone looks pretty happy in the picture. I told him by that point everyone was so wet, cold, and miserable, the only thing left to do was laugh about it. When we got back to the cars, the top of Sawtell looked like Mount Doom. We decided to opt out of the final climb.
Check out the pinging hail!

No comments:

Post a Comment