Thursday, September 11, 2014

Bear Lake Monster Cross Defunct (?)

It is with some sadness that I post this message. Blog readers may recall my enthusiasm for and glowing report on the inaugural Bear Lake Monster Cross last year. I have had a hotel reservation in Montpelier for months and the 2014 Monster Cross has been highlighted on my calendar since a date was announced early in the season. According to Jared Eborn, the organizer, the plan would go like this: In spite of some glitches and confusion with the original event, BLMC would be back for 2014 better than ever. The participants in the first Monster Cross would be given free entry for 2014.
With the date for 2014 only a couple of weeks away, I have had no emails and zero communication from the organizer. Their web site which has not been updated in months now only comes up with an error message. The registration link was never active. Their Facebook page links to the error message. I guess there is still a chance that they will throw something together at the last minute, but I feel like at this point it will be too little too late. Most of you know from long experience that quality events do not just happen. They require a substantial amount of planning and promotion. I think the Monster Cross is an event with huge potential and I hope it is able to become viable in the future.
For local cyclists, there are alternatives for Monster Cross weekend. Saturday September 27th is the ADA Challenge in Ashton. Sunday the 28th is the Kross Kickoff in Victor.
 

1 comment:

  1. So, I'm not the only one. I had this on my calendar and passed on a Salt to Saint solo I really wanted to do because of the conflict. I sent Jared a message and have not heard anything back. These messes in the last two Monster Cross rides, and also this year's Ghost Ride, which a friend came all the way from Missouri to join, have really messed with our schedules. Given the track record of my attempts at these events, I will no longer be adding events from this promoter to my calendar.

    ReplyDelete