Thursday, March 5, 2015

VeloNews: Ned Overend/Fast After Fifty Preview


Image copyright Wil Matthews/velonews.com
"For motivation, I find that a mix of joining group workouts and using the website Strava is effective in helping me to push my intensity to high levels. Whether it's our local Durango, Colorado, Tuesday-night "world championships" or the Specialized Bicycles lunch ride, whenever I ride in a group training situation, I'm motivated to push myself. I know a lot of riders avoid these group rides because their egos get hurt if they get dropped, but the best way to get better at group rides is to do them. Learn when to pull and when to sit in, and determine what strategy you need to stay on as long as possible. Suffering is less noticeable in a group dynamic; you don't have as much focus on the pain of the effort when you are making sure that you hang on to the wheel in front of you. Jumping across gaps or working with other riders to maintain a gap becomes a type of shared group pain, and I find it helps me push harder than when I train alone." Ned Overend/velonews.com


No comments:

Post a Comment