Wednesday, September 2, 2015

From Kellen: Velominati-The Rules

The Prophet (Merckx) and the Apostle (De Vlaeminck) forge the foundation of The Rules.
Cycling is a sport with a long and rich history based in generations of tradition. Most cyclists have a sense that there is a set of unwritten rules that they are expected to follow. This is particularly true of road cyclists. The guys at Velominati have published what may be the most comprehensive list anywhere of the so called unwritten rules. In your cycling career, you will meet cyclists who are slavishly devoted to these and other rules of the sport. Nothing you do on or around a bike will be pure enough for them. At the other extreme are the cavemen of cycling who are unbound by any rules. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

Some of these rules resonate pretty deeply with me such as #63 (point in the direction you are turning), and #88 (don't surge). Others do not. As just one example, in my early years as a road cyclist, I was unwilling to use a saddle bag because I did not want to be the guy with the saddle bag. At some point, I realized how useful the saddle bag was to carry spare tubes, etc for long rides and I almost never carried my repair kit in jersey pockets again. Regardless of how you feel about the The Rules individually, I think you will find this entertaining and informative reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment