Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Nutrition Minute: Pocket Fuel at the Giro

Ever wonder what kind of fuel the pro's pack in their jersey pockets for a stage effort? Well, I did and the so did the guys at the Global Cycling Network, who spoke to some of the riders in the Giro and figured it out. Rice cakes (ham and Nutella), Bloks and assorted gels seem to be standard (among those interviewed). I am currently fascinated by the trend toward whole food fuel (rice cakes, panini, jam cakes), more on that particular topic later...



Because I couldn't help myself, I went through the video several times (playing, pausing, zooming in, pausing), to see if I could discover every bar, gel, or snack they either pulled out of their pockets or mentioned -- and here is my comprehensive list:

CNP – Elite Energy Bar  Bernie Eisel
CNP – Hydro Max Gel (especially for hot weather)  Ben Swift
Born – XTRA Bar   Simon Geschke
Born – Super Energy Gel and Energy Shot  Simon Geschke
Clif – Mojo Bar  Tyler Farrar
Clif – Shots and Bloks  Tyler Farrar
Etixx – Energy Sports Bar (Red Fruit Flavor)  Adam Hansen
Etixx – Isotonic Energy Gel  Thomas De Gendt
SIS – Go Gels (Cola and Lime Flavor)  Nicolas Roche
SIS – Go Bars  Nicolas Roche
Nutella (especially with banana or rice)
Snickers Bar (nutritional facts)
Mars Bar
Brownies
Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment