Thursday, May 1, 2014

With Tony in Moab

Recently, I had occasion to go through a bunch of old photos (old meaning non-digital).  I scanned in a couple here just for fun. Many of the pictures look a lot like these. They come from a time in which we believed Moab was the absolute center of the universe. They include family photos and pictures with Scott, Kelly, Randy, and BYU-I students from numerous White Rim trips. I believe the picture with me and Tony was taken in 1998, about the time I bought Chris Huskinson’s Bianchi road bike and the TNR transitioned to the road. You can read that story here: http://rexburgcycling.blogspot.com/2013/03/history-of-rexburg-tnr.html
 
     The second picture is from 1997 with Sam, Paul, and Robbie Stone and various friends at Slickrock. It was later that day that Kelly, Sam, and I got lost and spent a very cold night in the desert. We had a lighter and tried to burn crumpled dollar bills to ignite soaking wet wood and start a fire. If you have never tried to burn money, I will save you some trouble. It does not burn. The thing that saved us was a spare inner tube which burned long and hot.
     We don’t get to Moab as much as we used to, but it is still a trip I would recommend to anyone.
 

2 comments:

  1. Totally awesome. I know I've got a few of these kicking around as well... made me nostalgic for the good old days. I love Tony's GT jersey!

    ReplyDelete